Welcome to the YMCA
YMCA Guildford has a long history in the town, and for more than 20 years has provided safe housing for young people in the Bridge Street hostel along with bed and breakfast accommodation, conferencing and restaurant facilities. Youth work projects previously based at Plantation in Market Street have now moved into the new youth venue, The Basement, thanks to the remarkable financial support of many local people.
Since 1 April 2014 we have been part of YMCA DownsLink Group. This new organisation works with young poeple across West Surrey, East and West Sussex and the name is derived from the Downs Link route that runs from Guildford through Horsham down to the south coast at Shoreham.
What's new at YMCA Guildford?
The Y Restaurant has been transformed into The Cafe.
Why has this change been made?
Creating a ‘Youth Minded Community’ at the Y Centre, Bridge Street
• We want more young people to be supported at the Y Centre.
• Whilst continuing our important work with supported housing residents we are increasing the number of students we house, replacing our bed & breakfast offer.
• We want young people to feel that the Y Centre is their home as soon as they walk in the door.
Restaurant into Cafe
• There will be 112 young people in the Y Centre requiring breakfast and dinner 7 days a week.
• The restaurant has been redesigned and decorated to practically accommodate that number of young people and to create an environment which is relevant and fresh to them.
• The restaurant’s primary function has always been to provide breakfast and evening meals for our residents.
• Remaining open during the day has meant the public can use the facilities. We are grateful to our regular customers who have consistently supported our work by doing so and hope you will continue to enjoy eating here.
We are excited about the changes and new emphasis on creating a youth minded community and hope you can appreciate that the changes are being made for the best reasons. We do hope that you will continue to enjoy eating at the YMCA and support us by doing so.